Monday, February 13, 2012

Books to Beat the Winter Blues & Blahs

It's that time of year that usually is rather dark, dismal and depressing.  We've had some unusually pleasant weather, so hopefully that has helped keep the blues at bay a bit, but just in case I wanted to start a post with some literature that I have found helpful.
Suggestions of two sorts.
Tragic books that give you an excuse to cry and wallow a bit and also recognize that at least your life isn't that bad.
Cheery books that help you remember how lovely the world is/can be for when you're done wallowing (it's just not good to wallow for too long).

Cheery books:
  • Daddy-long Legs by Jean Webster
  • Anne of Green Gables (Books 1-8) by L.M. Montgomery
  • The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows
  • Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale
(all of those have the element of orphans finding family, which really is a good story, but there's more to them than that).
  • The Harvester and The Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter
  • Ex Libris by Anne Fadiman.   A book of essays by a book lover.  (some will make you cry too)
  • Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison.  Short snippets about refocusing your life.  (Yes it is about as cheesy as it sounds but easier to swallow than Gift from the Sea.  In other words, it is well done sappiness, especially if you just read a chapter a day or so).
  • Good Poems for Hard Times.   Compiled by Garrison Keillor.  Ok I admit I've only read his collection, Good Poems, but I trust him enough to recommend this book unread, (although I have read and loved the intro to this).  
  • Billy Collins Poetry.  He has several books out. If you aren't a fan of poetry, give him a chance.  Watch this.  He's funny.
  • Bossypants by Tina Fey.  I wish I could censor this book a bit, but if you can look past those parts it has great value (teaches about accepting and valuing yourself and others etc),  and it's hilarious.  
  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson.  A bit out of season, but a fun, quick feel-good book all the same.  
Wallowing books (I prefer these in small doses so these are shorter books or short stories:
  • Interpreter of Maladies and Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri (both books of short stories)
  • The Moon is Down by John Steinbeck.  Depressing situation, but inspiring story all the same.
  • O Pioneers! by Willa Cather.  It is one of her Nebraska novels so if you know you don't like those then maybe don't bother, but in my opinion it is beautiful and tragic, but not without hope.

Please post your own ideas in the comments.  
I've read these.  I'm not opposed to rereading but I'd love some new stuff in the mix as well.  

5 comments:

  1. This morning, while talking to a friend I remembered another good happy-ending book. If you are a fan of the English classics you'll probably like this. Sort of like a cross between Dickens and Austen, but before either of them (and much shorter--less than 200 pages if I remember right).

    What do you like to read when you are feeling down? I would love some suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is the name of the book that you are referring to in this post?

      Delete
    2. I can't believe I left off the most basic of information and that it's been sitting here without it for weeks. Sheesh!
      It's The Vicar of Wakefield by Oliver Goldsmith.

      Delete
  2. Here are some of my long rambling book comments. I hope this is helpful. I have just copied an email I sent to MaryAnne. Miss you guys!

    "Well, to answer the most important question, Outlander - great story, some sadness, lots of history, fantastic love story with lots of good, married sex, some very upsetting scenes of torture; a bit over wordy but overall, great, and it ends on a happy, hopeful, note. Then there are 6 more after that. You know I love it and all the books in the series. Awaiting book 8 hopefully later this year. They are definitely a commitment. I spent about a year reading the first five of them while Bryan and Roxanne were still home. I have a friend here who blew through all 7 books in about a month. She lives alone, and teaches piano lessons in the afternoon, and she has lots of time to herself. Diana Gabaldon also has written a few short novels about Lord John Gray, a recurring character. He isn't in Outlander, well, he is, but we don't learn his name until subsequent books. Outside of the story of Jamie and Claire, I don't find Lord John as interesting.

    Happy books, that's a bit trickier. There's always Jane Austen to fall back on for a guaranteed happy ending. ; ) I read Beneath a Marble Sky, by John Shors. It has a happy ending, but lots of time getting there. Also a great love story, historical fiction/ romance, my favorite.

    We just read Everything is Illuminated. Very absurd. One of the narrators speaks a strange form of pidgin English. He prides himself on his ability and his use of a thesaurus to make him sound more like a native English speaker, but his results are mostly hilarious instead. I did not finish it yet, but I laughed out loud at quite a bit of it.

    The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan is probably the most uplifting (or least unhappy) of her Mother / daughter / sister type books. I love all of her books, but some of them are kind of depressing at times. The Hundred Secret Senses has a very satisfying ending. It has been several years since I read it, but my overall reaction was that it was a great story, and I loved it. The other one by Amy Tan that is quite different than any of her other books is Saving Fish from Drowning. It is an absurd tale, but very convincing. And pretty funny in parts. It is particularly interesting if you have traveled outside of the United States, and have experienced seeing Americans from the point of view of the rest of the world.

    In the non fiction area, David Sedaris is always hilarious. My favorite of his is Me Talk Pretty One Day. If you can get past the coarse language you will laugh your head off. I also read Craig Ferguson's memoir American on Purpose. Also, lots of language, but a great uplifting story of someone who could have died drunk on a street somewhere, but instead pulled himself out of the gutter and has entertained lots of folks for many years now. Also Tina Fey's Bossypants. Hilarious, and inspiring.

    That's all I can think of at the moment. I have been reading a lot of books on Architecture and design, as I have many projects to do in an attempt to restore this house to some of its original beauty. Hope this helps. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you in time for book club.
    Oh, yeah, we are reading Night Circus this month, since I was interested in what you guys are reading.
    I will post this on the blog as well!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will book 8 complete the Outlander Series or are there more coming after that?

      I was rather surprised to see Everything Is Illuminated on a list for 'happy' books. I haven't read it but watched the movie with Elijah Wood. The movie is really good (we own it if anyone local is intrigued and wants to watch it--do NOT watch the special features though). It is also funny in many parts, but the ending where everything is illuminated, at least in the movie, is tragic (I hope I don't spoil anything for you Heather P.).

      I will second both the recommendations and the warnings for David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day and Tina Fey's Bossypants. Hilarious, raunchy in parts, but can still overall make you a better person. A rather delicate balance that may not be for everyone.

      Amy Tan. Judging from what I know of her writing I may work that in, in the near future, but I know she writes with a depth I may find taxing after the slew of emotional books I've just been through.

      I think I'll start with Craig Ferguson. I've wanted to read that book before and forgot about it. After that I'll revisit the list and maybe pick up one of the Amy Tan suggestions.

      In the meantime, tonight, I plan on folding laundry and watching High School Musical (can't get much more chipper than that can you?).

      Delete