Monday, January 14, 2013

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien


For February we'll be discussing The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien.

I usually try to find an 'official' site for authors and books, but that has been a bit complicated.  These books have been around for SO long and are SO well-loved that there is a LOT of information.  Of course you are all capable of doing a google search, but I like to have things handier for us.  So here are some of the sites I found interesting.

Of the ones I looked at, the Tolkien Library, seemed to be the best organized, most comprehensive as well as most interesting of the ones I looked at.  Here are a few of its pages I found most relevant.
Tolkien Library Biography
Tolkien Library Gallery of Hobbit Translations from around the globe (totally worth checking out although I included several at the end of this post).
Tolkien Library: About the Hobbit
Tolkien Library: Books by J.R.R. Tolkien


The Tolkien Society has a site, and while it has a lot of information, it isn't the most intuitive set up.  It focuses most on the author himself and his works as a whole, but if you are looking for something specific about the hobbit it may be hard to find here.
Tolkien Society Home Page
Tolkien Society's Tolkien Biography

There were a couple other sites that looked worthwhile:
The Barrow-Downs about the Hobbit
The Hobbit Hunter
And just because I found them fascinating here are a bunch of different covers.  Many in English but some in other languages.  Some beautiful, some horrible.























No comments:

Post a Comment