Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Dirty Life by Kristin Kimball

Our April discussion will be about 
"The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food and Love" 
by Kristen Kimball.  

There is an NPR story, 

A couple author videos.

If the food and farm aspect of this book appealed to you, you might also find this blog interesting:
Farmbrarian:  Harvesting Books about Growing & Eating Real Food (This link specifically takes you to their review of The Dirty Life).


On a completely personal note I just want to say that this book's SUBtitle could be a book about my mother and our family farm (which sadly long ago ceased to be a productive farm).  I feel like I usually say more about the books themselves in these blog entries, but I haven't read this one yet and quite honestly I have too much to say on the subjects of Farming, Food and Love so I'm stumped at where to start.  And even more, and as we approach 10 years since my mother died the very idea of the book had made my heart a bit overly tender.
Some comparisons.  My mother had a Scarlett O'Hara love of land, specifically our family Farmland even when it was reduced to just 'land';  a love of food and cooking to rival Julia Child (although she didn't mess with French food); and a capacity to love that equals, if not surpasses, everyone I've ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment